Petrie Press, in partnership with Supanova Pop Culture Expo, is proud to present this amazing opportunity for developing minority comic creators to hone their craft in 2017. Shifting from a convention-based model to a year long skills development program, the Banksia Project will provide coaching and feedback on all aspects of comic creation.
Kicking off in February, recipients will receive regular sessions with Platinum Ledger Award winning creator and publisher Alisha Jade covering everything from story, writing, art and pre-press to productivity and publishing. Additionally, they will receive coaching on promotion and sales, on site at Supanova Expos.
At each Supanova Expo, one selected emerging or developing creator will receive Supa-Star status, including:
- Coaching and support from Alisha Jade over the event weekend, tailored to the creator, to help make the most of the learning experience
- A guest table in the Supa-Star area, free of charge
- Announcement of participation on Supanova’s social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and eDM (combined readership of 200,000+)
- Event programme inclusion, and
- A guest page on the Supanova website
At the end of the coaching year, participants will aim to create a new comic, integrating lessons learned and with the assistance of Alisha Jade.
Creating comics can be an isolated dream – for an emerging creator, it’s hard to acquire the knowledge and skills to create to the best of their ability. This initiative hopes to remove some of those pressures, allowing selected creators to experiment and develop, while being mentored in a supportive environment, to help to raise our community through sharing, learning and visibility.
This is an incredible chance to gain experience and skills in a vibrant, supportive environment and is the first initiative of it’s kind.
- You must be a currently active minority creator (18+) creating comics inside Australia, who has put out a comic in the past 12 months. A minority creator is a creator for whom any facet of their gender, sex, race, sexuality, language or any other aspect of their identity is under represented in comics. If you have any queries about this aspect of eligibility, please contact us for clarification. All inquiries will be confidential.
- You must have access to the internet and availability to regularly communicate with Alisha Jade (preferably Skype).
- You must be able to cover transport to and from the Supanova event, along with your own accommodation.
- A significant portion of your wares must be comics.
- You may only exhibit at one event under the Banksia Project
- If you have already booked a table at Supanova Expo, and are a successful applicant, your table fees will be refunded for that event.
Each creator will be chosen by Alisha Jade in consultation with Supanova Pop Culture Expo. All decisions are final. Please note, details of how a creator fits the minority guidelines will not be released without prior consent.
To apply, please submit the below form detailing how this opportunity would benefit your comics development, along with samples of your comic work and photos of you exhibiting at a previous event, if applicable. The photo can be from any event, including zine fairs or festivals. Previous experience exhibiting is not mandatory for your application, but making comics definitely is!
Applications are due before the 31st January, 2017, for coaching to begin in February.
Any questions? Email PetriePress@gmail.com!
Logo by Sophia Parsons Cope!